We are just weeks away from St. Patrick’s Day and my mind keeps wandering to my childhood. More specifically to the celebration surrounding the green waters of the Chicago River. There was just something magical about standing along the Chicago Riverwalk with 400,000 other onlookers watching the river turn a beautiful emerald green.
Afterward, we would head out looking for an Irish pub offering corned beef and cabbage, cottage pie, and Shamrock Shakes. The food was always hearty and comforting, with a familiarity and humbleness that made it both charming and irresistibly delicious. There’s nothing quite like eating Irish food while watching the waters sparkle and shine a brilliant shade of green outside the windows.
With the spirit of St Patty’s Day in mind, I am sharing this Corned Beef recipe. The beef is simmered in a Guinness beer broth and pressure cooked for a tender and delicious beef that gets shredded with some of the broth. Topped with melted cheese and a sriracha slaw your taste buds will be dancing a gig.
Shredded Corned Beef
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 – 3 pounds corned beef
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 carrot
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bottle Guinness beer
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 sandwich buns
For the sriracha slaw:
- ½ head red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 carrot shredded
- 2 green onions sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- Juice from ½ a lime
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Shredded Corned Beef:
- Remove the corned beef from the package and discard the seasonings. Rinse the beef under cold water remove any excess liquid. Set on paper towels and pat dry.
- Generously season your brisket with the paprika, salt, and pepper. Let rest while you prepare the vegetables.
- Peel and trim the carrot, celery, onion, and garlic; roughly chop and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the bottom of the pressure cooker pot and sear the corned beef on all sides.
- Add the chopped vegetables and the remaining corned beef ingredients.
- Place the pressure cooker lid on the pot and position the vent to seal. Cook on high for 1 hour. Let the pressure release naturally before opening the lid.
Meanwhile, make the slaw:
- Toss the cabbage, carrot, green onions, and cilantro in a medium bowl until combined.
- In a small bowl whisk the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha, lime juice, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the cabbage mixture and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer the corned beef to a cutting board. Using two forks shred the meat, mixing in some of the cooking liquid.
- Scoop the shredded beef into 4 mounds and cover with a slice of provolone cheese. Place in the oven just until the cheese is melted
- Layer the bottom bun with some leafy greens and carefully place a mound of beef on each bun bottom. Spoon a tablespoon or two of the sriracha slaw on top. Serve immediately.